When looking at a bee with the Portable Analyzer, you may notice that some traits are red and some traits are blue. Red are Dominant genes, while blue are the Recessive genes. Dominant genes are more likely to be chosen when breeding, over Recessive genes. The “better” traits are more likely to be recessive, making breeding them into a new bee, without special help from machines, a trial.

In real life, we have the Punnett Square for genetic prediction. Let’s use a Punnett Square with a Fast (Recessive) trait and a Slow (Dominant) for an example:

                  |Slow (Dominant)|Fast (Recessive)|
| Slow (Dominant) |S/S            |S/f             |
|Fast (Recessive) |S/f            |f/f             |

If all traits were Dominant or all were Recessive, then there would be a 25% chance of a purebred Slow/Slow, a 50% chance of a mixed Slow/Fast, and a 25% chance of a purebred Fast/Fast. But because Dominant genes are… well… dominant, they will be active over Recessive genes. In the above example, you’re looking at a 75% chance of a Slow/Slow and only a 25% chance of a Fast/Fast.